Typically I’m a beetroot burger girl all the way, and Hong Kong definitely has some winners in the Vegan Burger department. But with the summer sun coming out, BBQ season is all upon us. I wanted a burger I could have at home or bring to pool-side BBQs that tasted amazing and could withstand the Grill without falling apart. I’ve tried a few recipes now, but when @minimalistbaker posted this Easy Grillable Veggie Burger, I had to try it out. The Result: A hearty/tasty burger that held up on the grill and the entire family enjoyed!
Veggie Burger (*Adapted from http://www.minimalistbaker.com)
- 1 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Almond Oil
- 1/2 Cup White Onions finely diced
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder, Cumin Powder, and Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 Can Black Beans (Drained and Patted Dry)
- 1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs (Can sub gluten free bread crumbs)
- 3 Tbsp Vegan BBQ Sauce
- *** I added in 1/2 Cup Portobello Mushrooms (Diced)
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add walnuts and toast 5-7min and then set aside to cool.
- In same skillet, add 1/2 Tbsp oil and the onions and mushrooms. Season with a bit of salt and pepper and cook until soft. Remove from heat and place on Towel to soak up any extra moisture.
- Once Walnuts cooled, pulse in food processor with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt/pepper and coconut sugar until a fine meal is achieved.
- To a large mixing bowl, add drained/dried black beans and mash well with a fork (leaving a few whole).
- Next, add rice, spice-walnut mixture, cooked and dried onions/mushrooms, Bread Crumbs, BBQ Sauce and mix well until combined fully. If too dry and crumbly, she suggests adding more BBQ sauce or if too wet and sticky add more Bread Crumbs. Mine was perfect.
- Divide into patties (My mixture made 6) making sure to really pack everything together and flatten to desired thickness.
- Grill 3-4 min on each side until browned. You can also pan fry if you don’t have a grill.
- Serve on Toasted Bun with your go to Burger Toppings and Enjoy!